Do you have a small yard and don’t want to have to deal with a gas powered lawn mower and the maintenance that comes along with it? If so, you might want to take a look at a battery powered lawn mower. Battery powered lawn mowers are perfect for small to medium sized yards found in most suburban areas. Let’s take a look at the best battery powered lawn mower for small yards.
Why is a battery powered lawn mower great for small yards?
Battery powered lawn mowers don’t require much maintenance. All you have to do is keep the batteries charged and sharpen/replace the mower blades. They are also much quieter than gas lawn mowers as well. There is a weight advantage for choosing a battery powered mower, they are much lighter than there gas powered cousins. There is also a slight cost incentive as well, as current electric rates are cheaper than the price you pay for gas.
Battery powered mowers are better than gas lawn mowers for small yards
Battery powered mowers are better than gas lawn mowers for small yards for a few reasons
- No engine emissions. which means they are better for the environment
- Battery powered mowers are much quieter, which gives you the flexibility to cut your grass late or early in the morning
- There is no gas to buy and maintain
- Little maintenance. Charging batteries and sharpening/replacing mower blades are it.
- Easy starting, usually with a push-button start.
I recently made the switch to all battery powered outdoor lawn equipment and couldn’t be more satisfied.
Will a battery powered mower work for me?
You might be thinking about using a corded electric lawn mower. They are great for small yards as well, and can be really inexpensive. Being cordless allows you to cut the lawn and not be tied down to the location of your exterior electric outlets. That can be a real pain. Also with a corded mower you have to deal with the long extension cables which can slow you down in your mowing process.
What are the disadvantages of a battery powered lawn mower?
There are two major disadvantages with battery powered lawn mowers
- The batteries. Batteries can be expensive if they go bad. The reliability of Lithium-Ion batteries has come a long way, but that reliability comes with an expensive price tag. Some replacement batteries can cost as much as the tool itself
- Runtime. The newer 40v, 50v, and 60v Lithium-ion batteries are strong and powerful. However, they do have a shorter runtime. With most modern lithium-ion 40v batteries you will get a 40-minute average run time.
What features would you like in a battery powered mower for a small yard?
- 13inch -16inch cutting width
- 16inch – 20inch cutting width
- mulching and bagging capabilities depending on the model
- multiple position height adjustment
- Lithium-ion batteries in the 18v -40v range.
- battery and charger should be included
All of these great features make cutting the grass in a small yard with a battery powered mower a snap.
We hope you love the products we recommend! If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Best Battery Powered Lawn Mower for Small Yards
Below are some of the best battery powered lawn mowers you can buy to cut and maintain a small yard.
- 40V 4Ah Li-Ion Battery includes 1-4Ah Battery and Charger
- Single lever 5-position height adjustment offers cutting height range from 1-1/4 inch to 3-3/8-inch
- 2-in-1 feature offers rear bagging and mulching capability
- 16-inch cutting deck
- 6-inch front wheel and 7-inch rear wheel for easy maneuvering
- 16-inch cutting deck
- 40-Volt 4.0 Ah EcoSharp rechargeable lithium-ion battery
- Powerful brushless motor
- A compact design ideal for small to mid-sized lawns
- 6-position height adjustment lever with cutting height from 1.18 in. to 3.15 in.
- Provides up to 40 minutes of runtime
- Instant start
- 40 V MAX lithium-ion battery with 2 x 2.0 Ah for up to 30 minutes of runtime
- 16-inch cutting deck
- Single lever height adjustment of 1-1/5-in to 3-1/5-inches.
- Folding handles for easy and convenient storage
- Carrying handle makes it easy to lift and carry
- The foldable handle offers easy, space-saving storage, perfect for sheds and smaller spaces
- Includes 9.5-gal nylon grass bag to collect clippings, and features a hardtop, so you can easily check when it’s full
- Includes (2) 4.0Ah lithium plus batteries for increased power and extended run time
- 16 in. cutting deck
- 5-position, single-point height adjustment 1.25 in. to 3.5 in.
- Compact and lightweight design with carrying handle for easy transport
- Folding handle with quick-release knobs for easy, compact storage
- Push-button start
- Up to 40min of Runtime w/ Provided Batteries and 2h Charge Time
- 16 inch cutting deck
- 2-in-1 mowing system for mulching and bagging
- 1.25 in. – 3.5 in. cutting height adjustment
- Fold down handle for compact storage
- Carrying handles for user convenience
- 40-Volt 4.0 Amp hour high capacity lithium-ion battery for extended run time
- Up to 40min of Runtime w/ Provided Battery and 2h Charge Time
What’s the best battery powered lawn mower for a small yard?
You can’t make a bad decision with any of the mowers listed in this post. Each of these mowers can easily cut grass in small yards. They can do it without using gas, costly maintenance, and without bad for environmental emissions. I actually purchased the RYOBI 16-inch 40v mower personally. I use this mower to cut the grass around my fenced in pool area, and it works great.
If you need a battery powered mower for your small lawn, check out the mowers above, and give a cordless electric powered corded lawn mower a chance I don’t think you will be disappointed. Get out there and cut some grass!
Lawn Mower Manufacturers Mentioned in this Post